LAWEBFEWEST 2018 SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED. SUBMISSIONS FOR 2019 WILL BEGIN IN JUNE.
10 VERY IMPORTANT THINGS TO READ BEFORE APPLYING TO LAWEBFEST 2018
1.WE HAVE AN EXCLUSIVITY CLAUSE THAT IS STRICTLY ENFORCED: Our E.C. restricts shows accepted in our fest from participating in other LOS ANGELES-BASED WEBFESTS ONLY that take place within 45 days of our event. It’s unfortunate but necessary. It’s unfortunate because Los Angeles is a big enough city to support four or five web series festivals—but not if they’re all taking place in the same week or month; then it becomes redundant. It was necessary because of repeated blatant encroachment practices of another L.A.-based webfest that started 3 YEARS after we did yet repeatedly held its event within 7 days of LAWEBFEST. Even though we gave them a 3-year pass, instead of establishing its own identity on the 52-week calendar, it became more dependent on us, diluting our audience. This left us no choice but to create an Exclusivity Clause in 2015 to ensure that LAWEBFEST remains a unique international experience. [To read more on LAWEBFEST’s Exclusivity Clause, click here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/laweb-fest/hollywebs-historic-dis-of-lawebfest-is-it-racial/1147282481949775%5D
KNOW YOUR CREATIVE RIGHTS: Do not allow ANY festival to dictate that you must screen your series at its event if you change your mind. Your show belongs to you, not any festival—whether you’ve been accepted into that festival or not. If you decide to allow a festival to intimidate you into giving away your creative rights, that is on you. If your show is accepted into LAWEBFEST and you later decide not to participate, just notify us in writing and we will remove your series from our festival and awards competition. We respect your creative rights.
2. 2018 FESTIVAL DATES: Friday April 27 * Saturday April 28 * Sunday April 29 * Sony Studios * Hollywood, California * USA.
3. 2018 ENTRY DEADLINES & FEES: Regular (June 9 – July 10: $75) / Extended (July 11 – August 12: $90) / Late (August 13 – September 14: $125) / Final (September 15 – October 31: $150) / Last Call (November 1 – December 31: $180)
4. REGULAR ACCEPTANCE & AWARD NOMINATION NOTIFICATION: All accepted entries will be notified by January 31st, 2018 on Lawebfest.com, both of our Facebook pages (@LA Webfest & @Los Angeles Web Series Festival), and our Twitter page (@LAWEBFEST). If accepted, you will be notified via the email you listed on your submission form (and on our website and social media pages) if you’ve received any award nominations by February 7, 2018.
5. LAWEBFEST EXPRESS REVIEW: For 2018, you can by-pass the Regular Submission process and waiting period, submit your series and have it evaluated for acceptance and award nominations in 14 business days. You’ll also receive a free Series Critique. Skip the line, the wait and the anxiety and find out if you’re in LAWEBFEST in 14 business days.
6.LAWEBFEST AWARDS: Every accepted series has a chance to be nominated for an award. Acceptance, award nominations and winners are decided by an anonymous diverse international panel of qualified screeners and judges working in all facets of the entertainment industry. We quietly recruit those who believe in and actually enjoy watching web series rather than, say, industry pros with little or no interest in or appreciation of web series. After you pay your entry fee and submit your series for us to review, our small but committed screening staff watches every produced episode made available. Unlike all other webfests, we base acceptance (or denial) and all award nominations (and winners) on the totality of your series rather than just one or two episodes. That’s why it’s in your best interest not to try and prevent us from viewing maybe a season you’d rather forget because, like terrestrial TV, we realize that online TV is a progressive art. The more episodes you make, the more your series should evolve—for the better—and we find that to be true in most cases. TRAILER PARK: One (1) award is given out in four categories: 3rd Runner Up, 2nd Runner Up, 1st Runner Up, Trailer of the Year / STUDENT: One (1) award is given out in up to nine (9) categories / DRAMA: Up to two (2) awards are given out in up to 17 categories / COMEDY: Up to three (3) awards are given out in up to 17 categories / DOMETIC & INTERNATIONAL GRAND PRIZE WINNERS: At least one (1) drama, comedy or reality-documentary series will be sent to 9 of our 10 Official Partner Festivals, receiving Automatic Series Entry, two (2) complimentary All-Access VIP Passes, and will be eligible to compete for awards in that festival. LAWEBFEST selects each series sent to our Official Partner Festivals: Rome Webfest (Italy), Sicily Webfest (Italy), Melbourne Webfest (Australia), Seoul Webfest (South Korea), Rio Webfest (Brazil), Webfest Berlin (Germany), Valencia Webfest (Spain), SoFloWebfest (Florida, USA), D.C. Webfest (Washington D.C., USA)
7. MINIMUM EPISODES & RECOMMENDED LENGHTS FOR TRAILERS & SERIES: We won’t accept just 1 episode of your series; we need AT LEATST 2. / To make your series more festival friendly, we recommend comedies and reality/docs episodes not exceed 7 minutes and drama episodes not exceed 9 minutes. Adhering to these guidelines increases your show’s chances of getting in. Trailers for the Trailer Park should not exceed 2 minutes.
8. NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING SUBMISSIONS ARE WELCOME BUT MUST BE SUBTITLED IN ENGLISH: Since web series is a worldwide movement, we have a global approach to our trailer park, screenings, panels and awards ceremony. We have no special “foreign web series” sections or awards categories. Entries in the same genre (Student, Reality/Documentary, Drama, Comedy) screen together and compete for the same awards– regardless of language, ethnicity or national origin– as long as your episodes are properly subtitled in English so as to provide you with the same opportunity to impress us with your trailer or series as your English-speaking counterparts.
9. VALUE OF ATTENDANCE: If you’re accepted while you’re not required to attend LAWEBFEST, we strongly encourage you to. Our goal is to showcase you, your team and your work and to help expand your brand (and options) beyond its present borders. Networking with and learning from other highly-skilled artists and established Hollywood players at panels, workshops and parties; sharing your unique journey of how you made your web series on informative panels with your international peers and a curious Hollywood crowd that will be in attendance; receiving recognition for your work on the greatest entertainment stage on the planet at a legendary Hollywood studio; even shooting future episodes of your show while in Los Angeles or planning future crossover episodes with newfound like-minded producers are just a few of the unlimited opportunities you can only take advantage of at LAWEBFEST. But you won’t realize the true value of your acceptance if you’re not represented at the festival.
10. NO REFUND POLICY: Unless it’s an error on our end, all entry fees, festival passes, festival tickets, award show tickets, trailer park buys, program ad buys, sponsorship buys and promotional buys of any kind are final and non-refundable. No exceptions.
(Please pay your entry fee, fill out your entry form and submit)